Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
The Ohio Department of Development and The Breathing Association will help income-eligible Ohioans with water and wastewater assistance. The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program provides eligible Ohioans assistance paying water and wastewater bills. The program runs from October 25th, 2021 until September 30th, 2022.
Call our 24-hour appointment hotline at 614-969-0978 to schedule an appointment at any time.
For emergency assistance, call 614-457-2997 and schedule an appointment within 24 hours.
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) Can help:
- Income 175% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Utilities must be in disconnect status, shut off, in need of payment to transfer or establish new service
- Maximum amount for bill payment assistance is up to $750 for water, up to $750 for wastewater/sewage or $1500 for water and wastewater combined
(During the COVID-19 Pandemic The Breathing Association is accepting phone interviews. Please call (614) 457-2997 for more Information.)
To make an appointment at our main office, call 24 hours a day, holidays, weekends or workdays at (614) 969-0978.
Eligible Households need to provide the following at their appointment:
- List of all household members
- Most recent Water and Wastewater bills
- Picture ID for Head of Household
- Birthdates and Social Security Cards or numbers for all household members
- Proof of citizenship for all household members
- Documentation of disability, if disabled
- Documentation of 30 days of income (earned income for those 18 years and order)
- All unearned income
- Documentation of zero income
- If self-employed: (IRS 1040 with
Offices closed daily, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. and all day on state and federal holidays.
Phone interviews are provided for families who desire to remain home for social distancing purposes or for health issues.